Tuesday, April 17, 2007

Mediocre, but for a good cause...

Last night, my friend Michelle and I went to see a charity concert of "The Rocky Horror Tribute Show". I admit that my motivation in going wasn't a philanthropic need to support Breast Cancer research and treatment. It was more a selfish need to see Howie Michael Smith half-naked on stage... (And may I just tell you - it was worth it!)


I know I sound like an obsessed teenage girl, but I truly think that the boy is incredibly talented. In my opinion, he was one of only three that looked like they had any business being on a Broadway stage.


First, there was Neil Patrick Harris. We all know him as "Doogie Howser", or more recently as "Barney" from the desperately un-funny How I Met Your Mother on CBS. Fortunately, Harris is actually a very talented comedian, and was wonderful in the role of "The Narrator". There were quite a few "shout outs" from the audience, poking fun at his breakthrough role and his career now. He moved on the audience comments with sharp timing and hilarious comebacks. He is a wonderful live performer, and without a doubt the BEST part of this production.



Then there was Howie Michael Smith(left). Yes, we all know that I am a fan, but from unbiased standpoint the boy is still pretty wonderful. His vocal range is huge! He is a very charismatic actor, and it's not surprising that he is starring in another Broadway production at the moment. His numbers were wonderful and a bright spot in this admittedly lack-luster production.



Last, but not necessarily least, was Kevin Cahoon as "Dr. Frank". There were moments when I wasn't sure whether or not I was watching a Broadway production, or a drag show. Irregardless, his performance was wonderful. It was nearly impossible not to watch him when he was on the stage. And while I think it could be argued that his character was more "late night drag show host" than "demonically mad transvestite alien scientist", (Not that I could even really tell you what the difference is anyway... I'm just sayin'.), it was fun and far better than most everyone elses performance.


The rest of the cast seemed either incredibly amateur or really unprofessional. Rachel Helson ("Janet" and 18 year old founder of Acting for the Cure) was cute, but really young and really weak. Michael Sutherland ("Brad") was also very inexperienced and weak. To their defense, they are both freshman pursuing BFA's in acting. I'm sure for what they are they are really good. But putting them next to seasoned performers on the Broadway stage? It just seemed cruel.


The most disappointing thing about the production were the three leads that were played by Broadway veterans that didn't deliver. David Burtka, Kate Reinders, and Cathy Trien all starred in Broadway's Gypsy with Bernadette Peters. And all three delivered tepidly mediocre performances that were unprofessional and seemingly unrehearsed. I understand that this show is supposed to incorporate a sense of improvisation, but they were just unprepared.


Rocky Horror is a cult show for a reason. If you are not part of it, chances are you won't enjoy it. The audience participation and "script" make it next to impossible to understand what is transpiring on the stage. I didn't really know what the show was about. And I still don't. But am I sad that I went?


No. Like I said, Howie Michael Smith is great. And it was fun to see Neil Patrick Harris. So I was content.



And, after all, it was for a good cause...



(Photo from left to right: Kevin Cahoon, Rachel Helson, Michael Sutherland, Howie Michael Smith, David Burtka, Cathy Trien, and Kate Reinders)

1 comment:

W said...

I am going to attend rocky horror tonight. Exciting!