Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Old Interests, New Opportunities

You know what I love?

I love how there are things that you can want to do your whole life, and then without warning you turn around and those things are presenting themselves to you. You don't expect it. Often you don't even remember wanting it in the first place! But then there it is, and desire has turned to opportunity.

And it just so happens that you're young and uncommitted and able to take these opportunities as they come.

I love that.

What am I talking about? Well - let me tell you!

When I was younger my parents had me heavily involved in competitive dance. It was priority. Because of the risk of injury I was never allowed to play sports. I was shot down at age 10 when I wanted to play football. "What would happen if your knee breaks? What would you do then?"

Let me tell you what I'd do - I'd buy LOTS of advil, get surgery if I had to, and deal with it. Cuz I'm make my own decisions now and I WANT TO PLAY FOOTBALL!!!
My good buddy T and my roomie both play in the NYGFL (New York Gay Football League) and were able to convince me to do it. MIND YOU - I don't really know what I'm doing. My roomie played in college, so that's kinda intimidating. But T - well, he played last season and it was the first time he had ever played too. So I get the impression that skill levels run the gamette.

Truth be told - I'm really into it for the social aspects. I realized recently that, while I have lots of friends, only two are gay. The rest are straight or girls (usually a combination of the two). And it's hard to make friends out at clubs that are so loud you have to scream to talk to someone more than one foot away. That setting doesn't really lend itself to creating good friendships, ya know? So ya, I'm really excited about the league - even the sport part!

I talk about my older sister a lot, I know. But Faith really is awesome and I've always thought so.

Well, she's always talked about wanting to travel and see/do more. When she'd list places she'd want to go, Italy and Costa Rica were always in the top three destinations. So naturally, being the adoring younger brother that I am, those became top on my list as well.

And within the next six months, I'll be going to both places!

First off, Faith and I started talking about going to Italy together last summer. Well we (finally) got our airfare booked - so it's official! I can't even begin to tell you how excited I am. Not only is it something I've always wanted to do - but it's been something that she has been passionate about doing and that makes it all the better for me! We're spending two weeks there - the what/where aspects of the trip once we get there are totally up in the air. Rome, Florence, Venice, and Cinque Terre are definitely at the top of my list :-)

Yesterday, my good friend at work and I were bored and, on a whim, bought tickets to go to Costa Rica in April. Def one of the most spontaneously things I've ever done! I mean, we'd been talking about taking a trip together for a couple of weeks, and Costa Rica was a destination we had lightly discussed.

But we got caught in the moment and now we're going! She wants to do a rainforest tour. I want to lie on the beach. So we're heading to the carribbean side of the country so we can do both. It'll be a quick trip - but I am sure well worth it!

So anyway, those are the latest updates in my world.

By the way - if you're in NYC - do yourself a favor and go see "Sunday in the Park with George". It's the most brilliantly designed show I have ever seen and you won't be disappointed!

1 comment:

K said...

That football league sounds like loads of fun!