Friday, April 25, 2008

If I Won the Lottery

Last night I was flipping between the Jazz/Rockets game (sad face) and my normal thursday night tv shows when I came across a news story about a small family who just won an instant lottery. The prize was $3,000,000 - paid out over 30 years at $100,000 per year.


So if you break that down, after taxes you're looking at an extra $60,000 to $65,000 per year (I'm guessing here on the tax rates based on the fact that the government rapes my yearly bonus by upwards of 30%)


What would I do with that kind of money?


1) Move Downtown!


So I like where I live and I'm comfortable and all that jazz -- but with the extra income I could be in a much nicer place, living alone, in a neighborhood like Greewich Village on a tree lined street with maybe even a view of the Hudson. Le Sigh... someday!


2) Family Vacation!


I'm a family man - what can I say? I'd get the whole family together in Florida for a week at Disney World. I'd rent out sick suites for everyone - everything would be on me! Ya, I love my family that much :o)


3) A big foreign trip for myself


I love to travel. There's something exhilarating about throwing yourself into a culture completely unfamiliar and different from all that you know... So I'd want to take at least one month - I'm not sure where I'd go -- but my top 3 destinations would be the French Riviera, Thailand, or an African Safari. Or maybe I'd start in Thailand, go on safari, and then wind down in the French Riviera... And I'd of course take someone along with me - most likely my sister, but who knows... anyone else want to call dibs?


Surprisingly, I can't think of anything else off the top of my head that would jump to the top of my list. I mean, there's little things... like stocking my kitchen with the best utensils and appliances, buying lots of candy for Brian, revamping the wardrobe, getting lots of ColdStone, hiring a personal trainer to help me work off all that ColdStone, etc. etc.


So I put it to you, dear friend:


If you won the lottery - what would you do?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

A shiny new car. Something pretty.