Thursday, May 24, 2007

Tidbits! (05/23/07)

American Idol crowned it's sixth winner last night, Jordin Sparks. I've been a huge Jordin fan for quite a while, and am thrilled that she has won. But I have to say, pitting her against Blake Lewis made the show seem really anti-climatic. It was so obvious that she was going to win that I didn't feel nervous at all for her! And that kinda made me sad. Part of the charm of Idol is that there are surprises. But the results last night were so apparent that I couldn't even be afraid of a potential upset. FOX let it's juggernaut show go over, so many people that I know had DVR's that missed the crowning moments. So, in case you missed it… here ya go!


Also on tap to perform last night were all but one of the people who've held the title in the past. Kelly Clarkson, Ruben Studdard, Carrie Underwood, and Taylor Hicks all graced the finale with their presence. And I'm sure Fantasia would've been there as well had she not been getting RAVE reviews for her Broadway debut in "The Color Purple".

Jennifer Hudson was in the audience of the awards. Now, this was probably the most confusing part of the night for me - Why was she not performing?! She flies out, sits through both shows, and doesn't do anything except appear on the red carpet? A total waste if you ask me. What were her publicists thinking???

Other stars on tap were Tony Bennett, Gladys Knight, Smokey Robinson, Gwen Stefani (albeit via satellite), and two gospel singers… Knight sang "Midnight Train To Georgia" which is one of my all time favorite songs! And Tony Bennett has become as important a fixture to AI as Simon Cowell's snarky remarks.

All in all, I thought it was a good finale. The "Jesus Singers" and Smokey Robinson I could've done without. But all in all I thought it was a nice ending to an admittedly lack-luster season.

Rosie O'Donnell and Elisabeth Hasselback really got into it on "The View" yesterday. Now, I'm not one to usually pay attention to the Rosie media frenzy, but this was pretty intense. (it gets good after about four and a half minutes…)



I totally see Rosie's point. I would want my friends to back me up as well if the media were spinning what I said to be used as some sort of pro-war republican propaganda. And I think Elisabeth should've backed her friend. I don't know that I would've called her a coward though. If I were friends with Rosie, I'd do everything I could do to stay out of her spotlight too!

Apparently Alicia Silverstone is on Rosie's side. After the fight she backhands Elisabeth by totally blowing her off. LOL - Womens Television RULES!!!




Fidelity Investments launched their new project, "FutureStages", yesterday at the Off-Broadway venue New World Stages. The project featured 10 one acts that were written and starred in by high schoolers without real programs or venues to present their work. BroadwayWorld has some video of the night if you'd like to see.

Raul Esparza was there as a guest speaker. The producers of "Company" are closely tied to the youth oriented production. In his younger days, Raul was involved in theater that would take the proceeds to the Dominican Republic and other "in need" areas, so this charitable event was close to his heart and his roots. Here are some pictures, featuring the dreamy golden-hearted Broadway star… (Source)






"In The Heights" producers announced that the show will be relocating to the Broadway stage for the 07-08 Season. The move was anticipated because of all the attention the show has been getting. From what I've heard it's pretty fantastic, and has some of the best music and choreography of any show in New York right now. It will play until July 15th at it's current location over on 37th Street, and then close to "brush up" for it's Broadway debut. Normally they would take it directly over, but the show's creator Lin-Manuel Miranda also stars in the production, so the show will be closed while they make necessary changes. No one has said whether or not casting will stay the same yet.



Most shows will do a trial run elsewhere in the country before opening on Broadway ("Little Mermaid" is in Denver and "Young Frankenstein" is in Seattle currently) but every now and then a show will do it's out-of-town trial while still in-town. Successful Off-Broadway transfers include "Avenue Q" and the current smash-hit "Spring Awakening".


Monday night, the Village Voice had it's Obie Awards ceremony. The show was hosted by T.R. Knight and Cynthia Nixon. (Source)



Last night T.R. appeared at the Zipper Factory in "Creation Nation", a spoofical talk show meets variety show featuring stand-up, comedy sketches, and celebrity guests. From the looks of it, good ole T.R. was having a blast! (Source)
Apparently the theater community is really loving on T.R. And rightly so. I mean, I love him and I'm kind of the quintessential theater geek, so I suppose it's natural for the rest of the community to feel that way. It's also really nice to see Cynthia out and about. And so blonde!

One of my co-workers recently talked to her at Penn Station and told me that she seemed more toe-headed. I can't decide if I like it though. I mean, it's fun. But I just hope she goes back to the fabulous red she sported on Sex and the City when they start filming the movie!


Tonight my friend David is having a "Meet my Long-Distance Boyfriend/Rooftop Pasta Party". Looks like the whole gang is going to make it out, so it should be good times! I also just heard from my old theater roomie and good friend Scottie. He's in town so I'll be meeting up with him after I get out of work - I'm so friggin' excited! I haven't seen that boy in what feels like forever.

Actually, now that I'm thinking about it…. I haven't seen him since New Year's 2006! Wow, that's a long time…

My mom is also flying in from Salt Lake City tonight to spend the weekend. She'll be staying at my place tonight, so at some point I'll have to finish cleaning my room… I sure didn't get it done last night!

Ugh, I just got a little overwhelmed...

No comments: