Tuesday, December 25, 2007

Somehow We've Made It Through

I feel like I can finally say, without fear of the words coming to bite me in the ass, that the worst is over. The big parties are nothing but rooms of tissue paper, dirty champagne glasses, and little christmas trinkets whose origins are still unclear.

It is now, dare I say, time for vaca!

Today was the big day - the first ever Annual K. Family Party held at my sister's home. And it was wonderful. Truly.

It started of course with our own gift exchange. And by "we" I mean myself, mom and dad (visiting from Utah), my sister and her husband, and my freaking amazing nephew. I actually slept last night so I was more than happy to actually crawl out this morning when Jack was sent to fetch his Nano for Presents Time.

All of the gifts I gave were well chosen and all were well-received. I think the winner for the season is my eldest sister, Ann. She gave Jack one of those old school Cozy Coupes, and it was all over after that was opened! We couldn't get his attention back to save his life!

I got quite a few great things, but I'm not supposed to say anything about them. My older sister is apparently getting something similar to what I got - so mum's the word! She isn't getting hers of course until my parents and I are back in Utah on Sunday. Christmas Number 2 will be much more low-key.

Around 1:00 pm, the rest of the K. Family clan rolled in. Papa, Grandmummy, DJ, Jo, and KT. That was the start of Gift Exchange the Sequel. Again, lots of great stuff - including a gorgeous houndstooth cashmere scarf from Lord & Taylor, and figure skates! I know - so gay, but I love it. I've never owned my own pair and I'm eph-ing excited!!!

The entirety of the K. Family (extended aunts/uncles, etc.) were scheduled to arrive for a formal dinner at three. My sister and I planned a wonderful menu...

She did her popular Citrus Turkey, which was particularly moist and well-done this evening. I did a new recipe that was the HIT of the meal - it was a glazed ham recipe that Guy Fieri had featured on a holiday special. And seriously, it was AMAZING. I also did Bread Wreath's - something that Sandra Lee had suggested, I adapted, and served with a smile. My sister did a Roasted Chestnut Risotto that was delicious. Jo brought her (sinful) scalloped potatoes au gratin. Grandmummy showed up with some steamed asparagus with a Lemon Hollandaise Vinaigrette that was out of this world...

Ya'll know home much I love food. Well long story short - this dinner was HEAVEN.

Post dinner involved much drinking, and a hilarious Yankee Swap. The swap was especially wonderful this year - courtesy of B. His family is in Ohio, so I invited him to spend the day with us. His first present ended up being a make-up case, which was pretty funny. But the second gift he picked was a family photo from the summer on the beach. EVERYONE from the party, minus my parents and B himself, were in it. And he picked it. HILARIOUS. Seriously, it's nights like this that I am SO grateful to have such an amazing friend in my life. Hey Lady! :)

So post party we've been vegging, explaining SATC to my father, and prepping for tomorrow. And by "prepping" I do mean "sitting around talking about prepping".

So that's it. It's done. The stress level can now peacefully resume it's zero status. It was a crazy couple of days, but well worth it!

Merry Christmas, everyone. I hope your holidays were full of smiles and food and love. And gifts. After all, even baby Jesus got gifts - so it's okay for that to be a highlight... right?

Sending out all my Love and Best Wishes -
S

1 comment:

K said...

Reading this post made me fat...LOL!

I am glad you had a great Xmas...enjoy the rest of your vacation!