Tuesday, December 11, 2007

Holiday in Red

Christmas is around the corner. The Rockefeller Tree is lit, the first snows have fallen, and shopping in New York has become an act next to suicide. And I love this season. There are lots of great parties and needless celebrations, all because of one baby boy (or a bunch of Jew's low on oil, depending on which religious belief you subscribe to).


And as much as I love all the shiny happy people everywhere, this season there is something less cheerful to look forward to...



That's right kids! Guard your throats and don't shave too close...

I'm a big fan of musicals in general. I'm a big fan of movie musicals in general.

And THIS? Well, let me tell you...

I'm a huge Sondheim fan. HUGE. "Into The Woods" and "Company" are my two of my favorite pieces in Musical Theater. He also wrote some of the most brilliant musical numbers, like "Not A Day Goes By" and "Move On"!

Mix in a collaboration with the man who made "Edward Scissorhands", "Big Fish", "Beetlejuice", and the original "Batman" movie...

Throw a world famous A-List actor on the top...


And you're either walking into the best movie or the year, or the biggest let down.

A lot of what I've read has been mixed. Although, after a press screening a few weeks ago, there were quite a few positive things being said. Tom O'Neil and Jeff Wells both thought very highly of the film, both putting it in their contenders for best picture.
Who knows - I suppose it could be a major bust. I'll let you know on Friday!

"But Spencer, the movie doesn't come out until the 21st!"

Well, my friend had a plus one to a press screening, so I'll be seeing it on Thursday. Woo hoo! I kinda freaked out when he asked me to go - I don't think you understand how stoked I am about this film!
Like any musical, it won't be everyone's cup of tea.

But it sure is mine!

So here's to looking forward to something a little darker than 80 foot trees and mega-watt windows this holiday season!

1 comment:

adam daniel weiss said...

i'm sooooo excited to see this! i saw the b'way production 2 years ago, and it was transcendent, and i know that this is going to be an amazing movie!