Thursday, May 15, 2008

Queerly Beloved, We Join in Holy Mantrimony

It's been a damn good week for gays on TV, if I do say so myself. And I think we all should give a big ole THANK YOU to ABC.

So many of it's biggest shows feature gay characters. And what's even better about the presence of queer culture is that they actually cover the diversity that we live in.

Gay couples, married gays, young gays, flaming gays, struggling gays, gays playing straight, insecure gays, successful gays, old gays... it really covers ALL of the bases!

Two Sunday's ago, the BEST show on TV, "Brothers & Sisters" gave us what I understand to be the first same-sex marriage proposal. And let me tell you -- tears... No, I'm not ashamed. I cried. Not a lot. But a little. The following week was the finale and the best TV same-sex wedding. And a few more tears... Then this past Thursday on "Grey's Anatomy", one of Meredith's brain tumor patients was a soldier whose father invited a platoon mate out to support him. Well turns out the platoon mate was his boyfriend. It was a lot of "Don't Ask, Don't Tell" politics, but it was also a really beautiful piece of storytelling!

I couldn't find an embeddable clip, but if you want to watch how this all unfolded, go here!

Remember when gay TV meant one of many cliches embodied by Jack McFarlane?

Ya, I'm glad we're moving past that. WAY past that.

4 comments:

Brian said...

Ain't nothin wrong with Jack McFarland cliches!!

K said...

I teared up during B&S too....no shame whatsoever!

OMG...and the whole thing with Scotty's dad and the cufflinks....*tear*....I couldn't help it.

Anonymous Blogger said...

The pastor guy in brothers and sisters was hot.

I should get into Grey's Anatomy

Tanner said...

I agree! I keep getting hot and bothered while watching tv these days!