Tuesday, June 3, 2008

I See London

Hllo, my lovelies! It's been too long...

It's been a GREAT couple of weeks. Memorial Day Weekend, Bri and I hopped the bus down to DC to visit Doug. We had an absolutely fabulous time!

HIGHLIGHTS:

1) Special-Ed Karaoke. There was some serious tragedy happening up in there ya'll.

2) A French Brunch. We walked around for hours before finally settling on an adorable French cafe, where one in our party asked if a crepe was just "all that shit folded in a pancake"... Why yes, that's exactly what a crepe is. Gruyere, honey ham, rosemary potatos, and the best Grapefruit I have ever encountered! Way better than McD's...

3) Mean Mommies at the Zoo - While looking at the Komodo Dragon, I overheard one little boy ask his mom if it ate people. Her response: "You've been such a bad listener today, I should just let them feed you to it...."

4) Crazies at the Zoo - After asking a woman to take our picture, a little girl decided to jump in with us. She had the biggest cheesiest grin EVER -- Bri, you need to send me that pic! lol

5) Q trying to de-Hulk my friend - Dearest Quentin, not everyone likes to talk about their feelings. But the rest of us will never cease to be amused nor amazed by your efforts to calm the beast! Muah!

All in all, best quick cheap getaway I've had in a long time. I love my boys!

So fastforward. It's back to work. Back to the grinding gears that make our lives go.

Last weekend I was able to spend some time with a few old friends from UT who have recently moved here. The first, Jeffy, is brilliant. I adore him. Truth is we haven't really been friends all that long, but it feels like we've been friends forever. Secondly, is Josh. Josh and I weren't really friends before. I mean, we were, but solely by association. We'd hang with the same people, go to the same parties, blah blah blah. But I don't think that in all the time that I've known him we'd ever had a conversation.

Here's the thing -- he was always "that guy" that everyone thought was so smart and so great and so hot and so (I could keep going, but I'll let you fill in the rest yourself -- you know these types!) so I was always just a little bit... indifferent when it came to him. After hanging out with him all weekend, it's a hugely different story. He is so not that guy that I thought he was! He's fiercely opinionated, doesn't shy away from the heated debates, and has a Crazy Flag that he wears like a t-shirt. Totally accessible and SUCH a great guy -- I'm excited to have him around for the summer!

There's an inanimate performance art piece in Brooklyn that you all should check out should you get the opportunity. Two weeks ago, in the early morning, a giant drill started coming up through the dock underneath the Brooklyn Bridge. Two days later, a giant telescope appeared.

I know -- what the hell?

So it's this giant art installation that you stand in front of, and you can see all these people standing in London!
The backstory is that this artists great grandfather began designing a giant telescope that would be built under the Atlantic to be able to communicate with New York (he was British). This artist found his great grandfathers diaries, and made it his life's goal to complete the work that was started generations ago.

Ok so we all know that there's no way there's a giant tube running the span of the ocean. But it's really cool, and the child in me really loves the fantasy that they've provided.
I believe it runs through June 15, so check it out.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I had a lot of fun with you guys too - even our debate. I love your optimist. I'm glad you don't think that I'm "that guy" any more.

K said...

Oh, of course I move away from Brooklyn before something like this goes up...great timing K!

Glad you had a great weekend tho, we really must find to hang this summer!