Monday, October 27, 2008

With a Z!

When Gypsy revived on Broadway, a friend of mine told me that the only reason he went to see it was because Patti LuPone was starring and he didn't want to miss that piece of Theatrical History...

And he was right -- seeing her live in the role of "Mama Rose" was truly a once in a lifetime performance that we absolutely could not have missed!

Well the first two weeks of December are bringing another iconic leading lady back to the Broadway Stage -- Liza Minelli!

Now, I'm fully aware that the woman is twelve shades of batshit crazy...

And more often than not she is standing in the spotlight as the butt of the joke...

But it's Liza. L-I-Z-A! I am pretty sure that it will be the only chance I have in my lifetime to buy a ticket and see this legend perform live in concert. And that is something that I absolutely will not be missing!
There are many that would say to me..."really? you're spending money on that? wow, what a loser" or "wow, how gay of you"...
And I get it. She falls into the same category as Judy, Joan, and Bette. She's someone that the young gays don't exactly flock to... And while I'm aware that I'm much younger than the majority of her fan base, I can appreciate why they exist. And I can't say anything too bad about those middle-aged queens because, let's be honest, I've been heading that direction since my first viewing of "The Wizard of Oz"... It's only a matter of time before we're all gaying out over a limited engagement concert featuring Idina or Sutton or Kristen or Lea, right??? Ya, that's right... my fandom is on a first name basis... deal with it.
And I'll be there at those concerts too. You can count on it!
But until then?

I'll be holding my breath for her to perform this classic...


I will die. D-I-E!

Who wants to go with me?!?!?

No comments: