Wednesday, November 12, 2008

A Few Thoughts on Mormons and Prop 8


Last Tuesday was a huge day for our country. Our first African-American President has been elected. Change is in the air. But last Tuesday was not all about progress. In fact, for some of us, it was the exact opposite.

The passing of Prop 8 is a move in the wrong direction

A lot of attention and anger has been turned towards The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. Otherwise known as Mormons.

I was born and raised in the Mormon Church. I grew up attending services every Sunday. I am also gay. While I no longer affiliate myself with religion in any way, there will always be a part of me that is tied to the Mormon Church. My parents are actively Mormon. My oldest sister is actively Mormon (I think...) So for me, there is no escaping a connection with the organization.

The Mormon church was by far the largest financial donor to the campaign to pass Proposition 8. For those of you that live under a rock and don't know what Prop 8 is, it's the piece of legislation that overturned California's Supreme Court ruling to allow marital rights to same-sex couples. Californians had made a step forward and with one swift vote it was all undone. Because of their involvement in the campaign, there have been protests at the Mormon temples in California and at church headquarters in Salt Lake City. Tonight, New York City is stepping out and protesting at the Mormon temple at Lincoln Center.
An acquaintance of mine is at the forefront of organizing the rally, and asked me to prepare some remarks about my own feelings regarding the church’s involvement. And while it doesn’t look like I’m actually going to get to speak at tonight’s rally (I’m kinda bummed and kinda relieved!) I’d like to leave my thoughts here. I know it’s not a platform like tonight would have been, but it all just needs to be said.

One of the first things you learn growing up as a Mormon are the Articles of Faith. These are the 13 tenants of the church as written at its conception by Joseph Smith.

The 11th Article says: “We claim the privilege of worshipping Almighty God according to the dictates of our own conscience, and allow all men the same privilege; Let them worship how, where, or what they may.”

This is an echo of a right that had already been granted to the young church by the First Amendment: Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof.

Mormons exact the right to worship and live according to the dictates of their own hearts, and they “claim” to allow the same to all people. Yet if that were true in practice, instead of just in thought, wouldn’t that mean that we should have the right to do whatever our own consciences dictate? Regardless of what they choose to believe the eternal consequences are, is it still not my choice to choose?

Freedom of Religion inherently entails a Freedom from Religion. And the church’s actions exact a non-excusable hypocrisy.

The 12th Article of Faith says: “We believe in being subject to kings, presidents, rulers, and magistrates, in obeying, honoring, and sustaining the law”

Again, something they hold as a tenant of their religion that they are seemingly unable to abide by. The article does NOT say “We believe in subjecting kings, presidents, rulers, and magistrates to obey, honor, and sustain our own moral law”. But by their actions, is this not what they are doing?

The obvious and frequent retort from the church is they are just being part of the democratic process. It is their right to vote however they see fit. And they are not wrong here. It is the inherent right of every American to have their say.

But if they’re going to vote according to the dictates of their religion, shouldn’t they be consistent? The man who founded the religion, Joseph Smith, claimed to receive revelation directly from God himself. These revelations are contained in a book called the Doctrine and Covenants. Section 134 deals with the relationship between the church and government, and it is there that Joseph Smith, acting as the voice of God himself, dictated:

“…we do not believe that human law has a right to interfere in prescribing rules of worship to bind the consciences of men, nor dictate forms for public or private devotion; that the civil magistrate should restrain crime, but never control conscience; should punish bguilt, but never suppress the freedom of the soul.” (D&C 134:4)

“…we do not believe it right to interfere… nor to meddle with or influence them in the least to cause them to be dissatisfied with their situations in this life…” (D&C 134:12)

So stop meddling! Cast your vote – that is your right. But the millions upon millions of dollars that the church has invested in actively working towards this hurtful and unconstitutional legislation? Well, I’m sorry, but that doesn’t feel like the actions of an organization that claims to believe that the law shouldn’t interfere in "private devotion". It certainly is not the action of an organization that believes human law should “never suppress the freedom of the soul”!

I wish I could shake the church by its shoulders and yell “Stop! You’re hurting us!”

You don’t like the way that my love looks? Fine. Don’t come to my wedding. Don’t bring me cookies when my husband and I move in down the street. But don’t tell me that I don’t have the same choice as you do – to attempt to commit my life to someone. Don’t tell me that my relationship is worth less.

If I get married tomorrow, it won’t affect the Mormon population in any way shape or form. We all could go on living our own lives, according to our own hearts, and continue in our individual pursuits of the ever-elusive Happiness guaranteed to us by our country’s Constitution.

But when any organization works against equality we do not get the same result. We get a large population rejected and treated unfairly.

So why is this decision hard?

Equal Rights does not entail embracing our private lives. You don't have to go out and find a new gay best friend.

What it does entail is allowing us the rights and privileges granted to everyone else. Regardless of what your skin looks like. Regardless of your heritage.

Regardless of the one you choose to spend your life with.

Rights are Rights.

And you cannot tell me that who I am is Wrong.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I stumbled upon your blog, and anything that mentions mormons (since I am one) grabs my attention. Please feel free to delete this comment!

It isn't my religion that informed my ideas about Prop 8. It is my work.

I am a social worker. Every day I see the results of a society that is moving further and further away from the "traditional family". Putting less and less value on it. It is scary.

Love who you want. Be who you are. Get married to whoever you want.

But don't make the mistake of thinking that it won't affect society.

Spenc said...

Lori - Thanks so much for your comment. And I wouldn't delete it: your opinion is yours and you should express it wherever you can.

And hearing the perspective a social worker is not something I get to do often.

But for you -- someone who is watching from the frontlines the disintegration of society -- if you had a chance to advocate more safe environments, more loving homes... wouldn't you do that? Married homosexuals can't reproduce. But many want to raise children and share the love they have with a family.

I realize societies wound is massive, but couldn't stable, loving, and legally-unchallenged homes be a BandAid on society?

The affects I see are all good. Not something to be scared, or threatened, or wary of.

So thank you, for pointing out yet another AMAZING reason love should be respected. It truly is to the greater good of everyone :)

Joshua said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Joshua said...

Also bloghopping here...

Thank you for your post. I found in informative and well written, but D&C 134:12 addresses the question of teaching bond-servants. I don't see how that verse can be effectively applied here.

Thanks,
Joshua

Spenc said...

Joshua

It's the spirit of what is said that I take into account. It's sort of a "when it comes to government, we're hands-off" sort of proclamation.

While the church didn't necessarily agree with the bond-service practice, they didn't hate slaves or owners. They knew it was not their place to meddle, and to leave it alone.

It's merely a similarity that I am drawing here. They don't agree with homosexuality, but they don't hate them. So why shouldn't they take the same "hands off" approach to the governments stance on whether or not to treat homosexuals as equals?

Thanks for your comment!