Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Where Were You When...

Last night, after a short familial detour, I was able to meet up with my boys and watch the election coverage. As the numbers rose and our excitement soared, we couldn't help but be blown away by the History we were watching!

Which of course made us all think about the other truly "Historical" things that have happened in our relatively short lifetimes and where we were when they happened. I thought I'd share a few with you...

Space Shuttle Challenger: January 28, 1986

So I was almost 4 when this happened, but I have absolutely no memory of it. Where was I? Who knows... probably playing barbies with my friend Elizabeth...

The Death of Princess Diana: August 31, 1997

We all remember the tragic car accident that ended her life. How could you not?

My dad and I were in Steamboat Springs, Colorado, for a racing event and antique car show. I was really into cars when I was younger, so this was something that my dad and I attempted to make into an annual event. It might have been the only thing that we really related to each other over. Anyway, we would go watch the races, innertube down the Mighty Yampa River, and spend hours searching for our mutually favorite vehicle -- The Cobra!

I believe it was early on Monday morning (could be wrong... might've been a Sunday). My dad was showering and I woke up and turned on the TV. Every channel was running the breaking news: Princess Diana Has Died.

I remember totally breaking down. Like, sobbing out of control. And I remember at the time thinking that it was so strange! She wasn't the princess of my country. Hell, we didn't even have royalty! But for whatever reason, the tragedy of it all really hit home for me.

And I will never forget that morning, watching the news coverage at the Rabbit Ears Motel in Steamboat Springs, Colorado.

The Bombing of WTC: September 11, 2001

I feel bad for people that have birthdays or anniversaries on 9/11. I can't imagine how that day played out for those people. They probably woke up full of excitement and anticipation for parties and presents! And then....

I had just started my Freshman year. It was a Tuesday morning I believe, so I was up very early. Part of my scholarship was contingent upon teaching in the dance department. Every Tuesday I taught a Dance Aerobics Class at 5:45 a.m., and then an Intro to Ballroom Dance Class at 7:00 a.m.
I had just started leading warm-ups for the dance class when the head the Entertainment Bureau came in and interrupted. "An airplane flew into the Twin Towers!"
I remember thinking he'd lost his marbles. We all filed out into the lobby area of the dance center and huddled around the television. We gathered around just in time to watch the plane hit the second tower.
Horror is all that I really remember as I watched. We were instructed to go home. America was under attack.

I didn't live far, so I was able to drive home pretty quickly. I ran inside yelling "Somethings happening!" and woke my boyfriend up. We turned on the TV in our room and climbed back into bed. And that's where we stayed until the towers fell. And for many, many hours after that. He and I had a really big bed, so it wasn't long before our friends started crawling in with us with their boxes of tissues and broken hearts.

I'll never forget being in that bed with those people. Feeling like we all lost something huge, and being so glad that we all had each other. Ugh, I get teary just thinking about it! lol

The Presidential Election: November 4, 2008

And then there's last night.

After a short familial detour, I went over to watch election coverage with my boys. We played games and watched the coverage, our excitement and hopes getting higher and higher as the night progressed.

And then there was this moment.

And that's when I started to cry and scream and cheer!

I cried and screamed and cheered with all of the people in Chicago, all of the people in Times Square, all of the people out on the streets of NYC (from the window, of course...), and all of the people in our country who had just given a HUGE sigh of relief because we knwe what had just happened was absolutely unbelievable. America was going to be ok!

I immediately updated my FaceBook status. Because that's the natural first impulse, right? Almost every single person that I'm connected to on there had similar statuses: "Yes we can, and Yes we did!" "I'm so proud to be an American!"

It's really an amazing thing, and John McCain even mentioned it in his concession speech (which I thought was good except for the part where he tried to make himself a martyr...) He said something to the effect of him "respecting" Obama for awakening a generation that up until this point had been indifferent and nonchalant in their role in government because they had never felt like what they had to say mattered. Which is true!

Want proof?

JOIN FACEBOOK!

So, where were you back in 1986 when the shuttle didn't make it? Where were you when you got word that Di had passed?

Where were you last night when our generation made history?

Write it down, and always remember. Because one day, not too far away, our kids are going to be reading about this in their history classes. Our kids will want to know where we were and how we were feeling.

I, for one, can't wait :)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Shuttle: Watching it live in class. Pretty vivid memory of it too, because we got out of classwork and brought in the TV, which was a BIG deal in the 80s.
Di: Not sure... hmmm
9/11: Driving in to work, I flattened a racoon on I-80 right by Parley's way, got a phone call within 30 seconds to turn on the news. The only animal I've ever hit in my life!

lavitadajessica said...

What a beautiful post Spence. I remember all of those events as if they were yesterday. Last night was truly the greatest thing to have happened in our life time. I am speechless. I can't stop smiling and crying tears of joy. YES WE CAN!