Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Not Cancelling Plans? Priceless.


I've officially become one of those people...

I've always done my own laundry. Well, nearly always. I'll admit that during my first week in college I had to call my mom so that she could explain to me how the process worked. Which one was first? Which one did soap go into? Did the little sheet go in the one with all the water? Wait, you have to separate white clothes and colored clothes? Does that mean I should separate my blues from my reds?

Ya, I was a mess. But Mom walked me through the process and since that day, I've always done my own laundry. In Utah, every place that I lived in had laundry either in the apartment itself or in the building. Even here in Manhattan I've lived in buildings with coin-operated laundry facilities in the basement.

But it seems that the act of doing laundry has found a new enemy: TIME.

Seriously, who are you people that have the time to actually DO laundry?

I mean, I guess I used to be one of those people. But it was always scheduled out. On Monday, I'd look at my wardrobe and think "Ok, I can wear those tomorrow and then do laundry tomorrow night..." And then when friends would say "hey, let's grab dinner" I'd come back with "oh, I can't -- it's laundry night!"

But in recent months, by the time I'm getting to Monday and am analyzing the remnants of my formerly vast wardrobe (another big issue) I've already committed to things every night of the week! Monday was dodgeball, Tuesday was dance. Wednesday I promised someone I'd join them at a social event, Thursday is a date. Friday.... and so it goes and goes and goes.

Over the past few months, I've played hookie on friends. It would get to the point where I was literally out of things to put on my body, so I would inevitably cancel something to make it happen.

And I hate doing that. Like, HATE doing that.

So. I've surrendered. I am now officially someone who has his laundry picked up in the morning, and will have it dropped back off to me, clean, when I get home from work.

Yes, it's more costly than just doing laundry. But I've decided that my time and my life is worth way more than the $15 it costs to have someone else take care of washing my underwear.

1 comment:

Heidi said...

It funny you posted this today, because all day I've been trying to decide if I just suck it up and do laundry tonight because I am out of socks, Or if I just go buy new socks....