Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Reciprocation of Rights

As a point of reference, everything that I am about to say revolves around this link:

http://britunes.blogspot.com/2007/11/ten-things-i-hate-about-you.html

BriTunes is a blog that my very best friend, B, keeps to put his (many) opinions out into the world. It's very funny, especially if you are lucky enough to know B.

So he posted a list of characters on TV that he hates (see link above). It's a post that I actually encouraged while we were watching "Ugly Betty". He hates Betty's dad (who bugs me as well) so when he said he'd been thinking about doing a TOP TEN type list of people, I thought it would be funny.

And it was. Is.

-HOWEVER-

I posted a comment on his blog about the post - that's what friends do. It went like this...

"1- "Furiate" is not a word. I believe what you are looking for is "Infuriate"…
2- "Caricature"… not "charictature"
3- Paige has DIABETES! Heartless…
4- "makes me want to take a shower and an STD test" - BILLIANT LOL
5- Being a "know it all" sort of goes hand in hand with providing omnipresent narration, don't you think?
6- And "just cuz" ranks right up there with "because I said so"… NEITHER are actual reasons!
7- "shutta up yo mouth" Wow, really? Really?
8- I don't think I hate Bindi Irwin. Although, after seeing that picture, I'm bordering on terrified.
9- I too can hear DC Doug saying there are too many ethnic people… lol
10- A man who narrows down people he hates to include 20% children has some pretty serious issues.
That's just how I feel. And that has to be enough.
DISCLAIMER: This comment was meant in no way to be mean-spirited. Caustic? Perhaps. But I accept the accusation with a knowing grin ;0)"


Within minutes of posting the comment, I was informed that I was a horrible friend.

"You suck. Stuff like that is just rude and sarcastic." (copied from the message I received informing me I had been deleted)

Am I crazy - Or wasn't the nature of that ENTIRE post rude and sarcastic? And for someone who argues his opinions with "just cuz", shouldn't I be allowed to state my own opinions without having to justify them?? It all just smells a bit too much like hypocrisy.

And just to preemptively rebut what I know is coming: the first point in my comment was to clarify whether the word was part of his "ghetto speak" or truly a typo; and the second point was in fact pointing out a spelling error. I guess correcting someone is rude. Though I don't see it that way.

So there it is. What was once censored is now back in existence.

I encourage everyone to respond. And I won't delete what you have to say.

I promise.

3 comments:

doug said...

Alls I have to say is that I was NOT going to comment on the ethnicities. Didn't even cross my mind. Though I did consider commenting on his use of "who's" instead of "whose." Glad I didn't.

Oh, that's not alls I have to say. Also, this: I miss you boys! Come see me!

Anonymous said...

Am I seeing a little trouble in paridise?

K said...

I was with his list until he fucked with my gay uncle Tim Gunn....

That WASN'T cool...

HAHA!