Friday, March 6, 2009

The Boys, and also The Girls

I just got a text from my sister Mandy. The contents of the text was this:


Ugh, I die. I am loving how much Jack is loving being a big brother. And I am also loving how Finn is chunking up! Jack was a chubby baby, and it looks like Finn is def following in those baby-foot steps.

In other photo news, Glamour magazing did a photo spread of iconic American women. The spread is absolutely gorgeous (you can see it here) These are my top five favorites...

#5 -- America Ferrera as Dolores Huerta


Wait, who? Ya, I had never heard of her either. Apparently she co-founded a foreign laborers union. (Her sign says "strike" in Spanish) So while I'm a terrible feminist for not knowing this American Icon, I'm all about how AMAZING America looks in this shot. Plus, the red truck set against those deep blues... Gorgeous.

#4 -- Camilla Belle as Mary Tyler Moore


Or as I like to call her... Shmary Shmyler Shmoore. I'm a bad feminist, but a pretty good gay. I remember being a kid and watching the Mary Tyler Moore Show with my folks and thinking it was hilarious -- even if I was way too young to get most of the jokes. I love MTM, and this picture is awesome. Um, do you see those shoes???

#3 -- Emma Roberts as Audrey Hepburn


Look at the turn-out and arch in those feet!! There's no denying Audrey is a mega-icon -- would Tiffanys be an iconic jeweler without Holly Golightly? Not to mention her star turns in My Fair Lady, Roman Holiday, and Wait Until Dark. And this Emma Roberts girl? I don't know a damn thing about her, but she's stunning.

#2 -- Emma Stone as Carrie Bradshaw


First of all, I love that Glamour chose to include a fictional character as an American icon. I love it because it's SO TRUE! Name one girl under the age of 30 whose sense of style/dating wasn't affected by Carrie B? Don't think too hard about it, because no such person exists.

#1 -- Alexis Bledel as Rosie the Riveter


I don't think there's anyone in America who doesn't know this iconic image. WWII's Rosie was the hot-flexin' mama that inspired women to jump into the work force while the men were at war. And Alexis (who I ADORE) recreated this flawlessly. The color, the expression... ugh, I die.

Seriously, take five and go look at the whole spread. Easiest five minutes to kill of the day :-)

No comments: