Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Add "Burn Victim" to the list...

Last night, in a fit of culinary inspiration, I decided to cook.

I like to cook, and if I had a kitchen that was bigger than a standard closet I would do it far more often. But last night I had such a hankering for this recipe that I had invented in my head, I made the rare exception and cooked at home.

So I was making a Apple Gorgonzola Chicken Salad. Step one was to begin cooking two chicken breasts, which I do with a little salt, pepper, and about one turn of the pan of EVOO (can you tell I love Rachel Ray just a bit?) So I got the oil heated and put the chicken on. Side one goes for about 6 minutes. So I start the walnuts on the next burner. So I'm chatting away and stirring my walnuts (that shouldn't sound so dirty...) when it's time to flip the chicken.

I should know better than to not pay attention to such things.

I pick up the tongs, flip breast one over, and splash scalding hot oil all up my forearm!
MEGA-OUCH

The Boy Scout (Eagle Scout actually, for those that know the difference) in me reacts and I run it under water. You know, basic first aid. But it still got all blistered and R.E.D.

It's like The Phantom of the Opera on my arm.

Since I have to be all bandaged and people keep asking what happened, I think I'm going to start saying I got mugged. That the bandages are covering a knife-wound earned in self-defense.

That sounds better than "I hurt myself making Apple Gorgonzola Chicken Salad", right?

2 comments:

K said...

Ooch, hope you feel better

Spenc said...

Thanks! It is getting better. Very itchy today... but I am being told that's a good thing (as I exercise all self-control to not scratch through my bandages...)