Friday, September 12, 2008

Type? Not so much...

Do you have a "type"?

Like, when you're out there in the singles scene, is there a certain kind of person that normally attracts you?

I've discovered that I absolutely do not have a type. As in, there is no rhyme or reason that I can see for being drawn to the people that I am drawn to.

Let's examine. We'll stick to just this year, ok?

When the year began I was seeing a guy of Indian desent. Dot, not feather. He was very successful, and totally Ivy League -- which is what I think really drew me to him. That, and he was a total dork, which I just so happen to find terribly endearing.

That ended, and the next person to snag my interest was white, tall, and skinny. Well, maybe skinny isn't the right word because he was athletic. But skinny athletic. Yes, that's appropriate and I hope not too confusing. He was blonde-haired and blue-eyed. Also successful, and the athletic thing was a big draw for me. Of course, then I got to know him. Douche.

Then I spent all that time in Italy, where I met a hot Italian waiter in Positano who became a fast obsession. About my height, kinda scruffy, dark hair and eyes... He was foreign, which is an instant pass into the H. O. T. category...

The next crush was on another blonde, blue-eyed athletic type guy. Again, he was tall. I always thought that I liked guys closer to my height -- 5'9 would be like the perfect height on a guy for me. This guy is over 6 feet, as was the other white guy. Maybe I only like "tall" on white guys... Or maybe only if they're athletic? Hrmmm...

Then there's the older bear-type guy. About an inch taller than me, solid build, well maintained facial hair... This guy is probably the sweetest of everyone here. I thought he was hot the first time I saw him. Then we hung out. And that's when the crush happened. He's adorable, and sweet is definitely sexy.

And then there's the jew. Jew? Should that be capitalized? He's also a little taller than what I'm normally attracted to. Not as tall as the two blondes, but taller than the bear. Very funny. Very sweet. His hair and eyes are brown. The nose is not huge, but definitely what you'd expect. And he has a smile that I think is responsible for this instant crush... see, I haven't known this one for very long. Just long enough to get tingles still when we talk :)

Oh! And then there's my new work crush -- also Indian!

So, you see? I'm about as consistent as... well, something terribly inconsistent.

Is this true for everyone? Does everyone else ever find themselves looking at someone and going "Damn!" and then "Wait... what the -- ?!"

I'm curious to know...

2 comments:

doug said...

I don't think it's true for everyone, at all - I think most people do have a pretty specific "type" that they prefer. But it's true for me. I describe it the same way I describe music - I have no favorite genre, I just like the best from every genre. :)

K said...

I keep on telling people (along with myself) that I don't have a type, but then looking back at all the guys that I've been with....they've all had dark hair and light eyes. Ha, whatdaya know?!?!

Perhaps that's what I subconsciously like....who knows? I think it might just be a coincidence tho...