Friday, August 1, 2008

If It Looks and Sounds Like a Hate Crime...

...it most certainly is a hate crime.

My sister just sent me an article reviewing a situation that happened with an old acquaintance of mine back in Salt Lake City.

Let me give you the short version:

A well-known drag queen in SLC was attacked in his own home at 6:00 AM. Beaten nearly to death, the thugs sliced his throat with a glass shard, dragged him out to the street, and bashed his head so badly that he has permanently lost all hearing in his right ear.

But Why, Spence???

His next door neighbors were at the tail end of an all-night drunken "July 3rd" Party (I actually wasn't aware the 3rd was a holiday, but whatever) and two of the children from the house went missing (because all of the adults had been getting BLASTED in the driveway since 9:00 PM the night before). The mother went looking for the kids and found them next door. She retrieved her children and left.

10 minutes later five men broke into the house by kicking in doors and bashing in windows, and the end result was the police pulling five men off of two nearly-dead gay men.

The incredibly ridiculous part?

That drag queen I mentioned? The one who is now deaf?

He's the only one in jail, on charges of attempted kidnapping and burglary. Those five men? Those beasts on the delayed attack? No charges. Nothing.

That shiz just ain't right, ya'll...

I know a lot of people think New York City is scary. But I have never NEVER feared for my life here, or worried about being gay-bashed. I feel way safer here than I would in Salt Lake...

2 comments:

Brian said...

I thought it was "Spenc," not "Spence."

I'm so confused.

doug said...

It should be Spence.

This story makes me queasy.

And to use your blog comments as a message board, in response to your questions:

1. This cartoon I watch is "Squidbillies," on Adult Swim, and it's hilarious. You can find some clips of it on YouTube. I recommend "Ode to Granny."

2. My couches were just moved out of the way into the other part of the living room during the course of the work. They survived and are just fine.