Tuesday, August 5, 2008

The Move to the Digital Suburbs

As I mentioned previously, I am super in love with my new computer, who I have decided to call Shakwandaleesha -- in honor of another fast-talking black girl from my past.

Yes, my computer is a fast-talking black girl. She's fierce.

ANYWAY...

So I'm online now after work hours, which has led me to Facebook. Now, I was very much anti-facebook. That's just how I am: something "fabulous" comes along, like a new reality tv show or a boy with a perfect smile and amazing body, and I want nothing to do with it/him. I'm just leary of anything being "Must See" or "Must Love" -- I don't take orders well.

Then I spend some time with said show or said boy, and end up finding these completely amazing things about them. Things that are wonderfully imperfect, like Tyra Banks on ANTM or CrazyFlags that said boy doesn't always allow himself to wave... But I digress...

Facebook -- the short version of this story goes like this: I gave in, and now I love it.

What's funny about this? Apparently it was inevitable...

Because I'm white.

BFF passed on this article and I just couldn't help but share! Thanks, Bri! My favorite part of the article:

For a brief period of time, MySpace was the site where everyone kept their profile and managed their friendships. But soon, the service began to attract fake profiles, the wrong kind of white people, and struggling musicians. In real world terms, these three developments would be equivalent to a check cashing store, a TGIFridays, and a housing project. All which strike fear in the hearts of white people.
White people were nervous but had nowhere else to go. Then Facebook came along and offered advanced privacy settings, closed networks, and a clean interface. In respective real world terms, these features are analogous to an apartment or house with a security system/doorman, an alumni dinner, and a homeowners association that protects the aesthetics of the neighborhood. In spite of these advances, some white people still clung to their old MySpace accounts. That was until they learned that Facebook started, like so many things beloved by white people, at Harvard.


I know it's a little bit non-PC, but I think it's brilliant :-)

A few other choice things on the list of Stuff White People Like:

#88 - Having Gay Friends
#51 - Living by the Water
#36 - Breakfast Places
#19 - Traveling

And my favorite, #1 - Coffee!

It's funny, cuz it's TRUE!

No comments: