Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Cruisin and Crashin

Last night I did something that I don't ever do. Ever.

I went to bed at 10:30 pm, and didn't even stay awake through the TBS re-run of "The Office" that I was so excited to find on my TV.

My normal routine usually involves much more late night TV and the eventual pass out around 1:30 or 2:00 am. But last night... oh man. So I'm reading my book (Hero by Perry Moore, which I'll write more about when I'm done with it) and think "why am I forcing myself to keep my eyes open?" So I put down my book, shut off the lights, and turn on the TV. I've got this problem; I can't fall asleep without something going on in the background. Hence the re-run last night. Or an Ipod playlist of melodic acoustic sets.

Anyway, why was I so tired? Well let me tell you...

I've been running NON-STOP since last Thursday when B decided that I needed to come out and meet his friend Jake. I'd been promising and promising so I was like "what the hell, I'm down!" So we went out to 13. They do $1 cocktails between 10-11 which means lots of cheap drinking and an early night to boot.

The club was ok. Fun enough. I'm not really into dance clubs, but at least it wasn't the kind of club where there are lines of blow being passed around and mostly naked men gyrating against the architecture. It was mostly Abercrombie-clad actor/dancer/waitors who passed around their $1 cocktails and gyrated against each other. I realize that may not seem better to most people. But at least I could sing along to the music.

I wasn't out all that late, but still later than I had planned. I actually ended up meeting someone that night who was very sweet and charming. We had a lot to talk about and he got me into the VIP lounge (always a plus) so I gave him a few stolen smooches under the stars (read: Disco Ball) and still made it home by one.

Friday night I was out again with B. We hit up Marie's Crisis for a little uber-gay showtune sing-along. It was actually a great time. I couldn't even sing most of the songs because the whole situation was just so ridiculously funny to me! I mean, where else do you find men and women ranging in age from Jail-Bait to Pre-Coffinary gathered around an old upright set of ivories belting "One" at the top of their lungs? WITH HARMONIES??? I haven't smiled that hard in a really long time. All the character and quirk and charm - if you haven't been I'll totally go with you ;0)

After a few hours there, we relocated to a friend of a friend of B's for a small house party. It was fine. I mean, there was an open bar. I ended up spending most of the evening chatting with a very nice kid (who is probably going to read this, so forgive me for not putting ALL the details out there...) ANYWAY, we were at the apartment for quite a few hours before moving on to EasterBloc. I know - gag! I hate that bar. But I was with a nice group of people that I didn't know so it was worth it. I couldn't even tell you what time I got home that night. Suffice it to say that it was late. Very late.

Saturday I had to run far too many last-minute errands before heading out to the bay for family dinner. I of course was off to a slow start and nearly missed my train. But then when I got out there (on time) everyone else was running really late, so I would've been fine if I had missed my train. But oh well, whatever. Dinner was fabulous. And because it was birthday dinner for two people there was both a Cannoli Cake AND a cheesecake. And Lots of Wine!

Spent the night in CT, took an early train in. Well, early enough that I could shower and change into my black shirt for the rugby game. First stop: Nero for brunch. Insert more drinking here. Then to the Kiwi Bar at South Street Seaport for the rugby game, which we lost. Oh well. But they serve Speights which is quickly becoming my favorite brew!

Left the kiwi bar in time to go ALL THE WAY back home and change and then go meet up with that guy I told you about from thursday. He invited me to attend the closing night gala for NYMF (New York Musical Festival). The party was fun, met some cool people. That guy (I should give him a nickname...) was a little clingy which kinda bugged.

Monday night was another birthday dinner. And cocktails beforehand. I got home at like midnight.

Anyway (sorry - I really didn't mean for this story to be so long. but be grateful because it could seriously be SO much longer) I just feel like I've been running running running since last thursday. So that's why last night, when I finished my laundry and had eaten my (fantastic) salmon salad... I crashed out earlier than I nearly ever do!

Unfortunately my schedule doesn't let up anytime soon.

Tonight a friend from PA is coming to stay with me. Tomorrow I volunteering at a children's school in Spanish Harlem and then have a volunteer meeting for the Clinton campaign. Friday I'm taking people to the airport from CT and then staying out there and on Saturday I'm spending the day with my friends to celebrate my lovely girlfriend's birthday.

So ya, I'm tired and will continue to be so for a while.

On a brighter note!

My sister just sent me this video of my nephew. His dad (my brother-in-law) was a big hockey player and they're getting Jack ready to follow in those shoes. Or skates, as it were...

Keep in mind - He's 2!



Hope you're doing well!
S

1 comment:

K said...

OMG that is so adorable! I am pretty sure that he is better on skates at 2 than I am now at 22 (horrible excuse for a Canadian, forgive me).

And yes, you totally need to give that guy a nickname..it is an unwritten blogger rule.