Tuesday, October 30, 2007

God's in the Hizzle, Yo!

Yesterday, shortly before the end of my workday, B called me and said that he didn't want to go home after work. So being the marvelous friend that I am, I said that I'd be open to doing something - so long as it didn't entail drinking or spending too much moolah. So he said "How about a show?" to which I replied "Did you not just hear me say that I don't want to spend a lot of money?"


Well turns out he did hear me. He had found two tickets online to see Altar Boyz for pretty cheap. So last night, instead of going home and doing laundry like the responsible adult I often mean to be, I spent the evening with Matthew, Mark, Luke, Juan, and Abraham (he's Jewish).

The show is a Christian rock concert, mockumentary style. You are attending the final performance of the Altar Boyz concert tour, their last soul-saving effort to convert the righteous through pop harmonies and killer smiles!
The show works because it's mocking a religious contingency (aka the folks that actually attend such things) without really mocking the religion. And the combination of the guys is genius: Matthew (Chad Doreck) - the earnest Christian whose heart and smile is directed to the sinners in the audience; Mark (Ryan Ratliff) - the flamboyant diva of the group whose heart is directed at, well, Matthew; Luke (Andrew Call) - the slow minded bad boy who recently spent time "recovering" from "exhaustion"; Juan (Jay Garcia) - the latino who never knew his parents; and Abraham (Ryan Strand) - the Jew.



All five of the guys were really strong. There were a few moments where Chad Doreck (from Grease: You're the One That I Want) couldn't seem to muster the vocal and acting chops required... but that is really the only not-so-positive thing that I can say about it.








Mark's Jennifer-Hudson-channeling version of "Epiphany" was probably my favorite number in the show. Absolutely brilliant.




I kind of wish my parents lived closer so that I could take them. We aren't Catholic, but the show still hits close to the Mormon roots. Plus, my mom used to be Episcopalian so I'm sure she'd love it!

No comments: