Thursday, October 4, 2007

Top 10 to Fall For

The Fall Season has finally premiered, and I have to say: I'm not as impressed as I had thought I would be. Some of the old favorites have slipped and some of the new predicted-favorites were over-hyped and now come off as being completely under-whelming.

I'm not going to get all into every single opinion that I have; my fingers simply do not have the stamina. Instead I'm just going to give you my "Top Ten to Fall For!"


#10 - Private Practice (New Series, ABC)
I think all the hype that surrounded the amazing ensemble cast and the fact that it's a spin-off based on one of my favorite characters from one of my favorite shows set me up for the serious disappointment that I feel. The medical drama just seems really slow now that it's set outside of a hospital. I guess there was a reason afterall why all medical dramas took place in an E.R. I still love Kate Walsh, and the fact that Audra McDonald aka Broadway Goddess stars as well is a huge draw in my book. But something has to give. There are no laughs! It just all feels too heavy-handed to me. Lighten it up, Shonda Rhymes. I holding out for this to really take off!



#9 - Heroes (Sophmore Season, NBC)
You know I love me some super heroes! But this show gives me A.D.D. ya'll. There are just so many plots to keep track of and characters to remember back stories. Now that it's in a second year there are new characters and time travel and… well, it's just a little over-whelming. The saving grace for me of the program is, of course, the undeniably sexy Milo Ventimiglia. Did you catch the episode with him shirtless? And wet? And with a cute new haircut!? I don't mean to sound so gay about this… but I promise the show is still worthwhile!




#8 - Reaper (New Series, CW)
I love the premise: A misfit turns 21 and discovers these powers; come to find out his parents sold his soul to the Devil before he was born; now the Devil wants him to be a bounty hunter because apparently Hell is over-crowded and evil souls are escaping! And I didn't even mention the best part: Bret Harrison. The shows execution leaves a little to be desired. The film direction is pretty lackluster and I think the whole design of the series could've been more imaginitive. Overall though, I really enjoy it. It's lighthearted and fun, which make it an easy hour to get through!




#7 - Gossip Girl (New Series, CW)
Gossip Girl, aka my dirty little secret. Well, the secret is now out of the bag folks. This teen-drama centers around far-too-priveleged Upper East Sider kids, who apparently don't need fake ID's to drink like messed up 30-Somethings. It's a little contrived. The writing gets kinda corny. But that's what it's supposed to be! It stars some fresh young actors, most impressively Blake Lively. You may remember her from "Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants" as the sexed-up soccer girl who lost her mother. She's understated and it works. So ya, this may be one you DVR to watch when the world has gone to bed and you can binge on bad teen TV without fearing getting caught. No judgement ;0)




#6 - Grey's Anatomy (Fourth Season, ABC)
I really hope GA is on the upswing. It was once my favorite can't-wait-to-watch-every-week show, but somewhere in the middle of last season I got bored. Izzie got annoying. George got over-dramatic. Well, everyone got over-dramatic. And I'm not just talking about plot-lines, if ya know what I'm sayin'. But we thinned out some story lines: we'll miss Addison, but good-riddance to Burke. And we've got some new faces aka Meredith's little sister. And a whole bunch of new interns, which make the characters we know so well the bosses, which definitely puts a new (hopeful) spin on things! I suppose only time will tell, but I expect to see this one climbing back up my charts.




#5 - Chuck (New Series, NBC)
Another addicting new plot: Nerd Herd employee gets a random email from an old college roommate who was actually a rogue CIA operative; the email "downloads" all of the CIA and NSA secrets into his brain; enter killer NSA agent and hottie CIA agent to look after him. The premise is original, the actors are great, the dialogue is really clever… All in all a really great show to watch! It helps that they've got a leading man you can't help but get a little crush on… It's like what 24 would be if Jack Bauer were a funny loser. I highly recommend it!




#4 - Ugly Betty (Second Season, ABC)
Tried and True. This show got off to a slow start last season but picked up. And now I love it. Forget that it stars one of the best young actresses on TV (America Ferrera) and just look at the ensemble cast: Michael Urie as Mark the Uber-Gay assistant, Mark Indelicato as the Uber-Gay-but-in-an-endearing-way nephew of the title character, Vanessa Williams, Rebecca Romijn, Becki Newton, and Christopher Gorham who seriuosly defines the whole "Hot Nerd" craze. For some reason this cast makes the crazy plots work. The show has it all: laughs, drama, and heart. And quite a range of Broadway guest stars (like Patti LuPone last season as Mark's unaccepting mother!) It's not too late to get into Ugly Betty if you're not already.




#3 - Pushing Daisies (New Series, ABC)
One Word: GORGEOUS. This show is absolutely the most visually stunning thing on TV. I imagine that if Tim Burton decided to do a television series it would look and feel a lot like this. The plot is dark comedy with a hint of twistedly doomed romance, and just a splash of crime drama; all of which doesn't seem like it would go but… IT DOES! Absolutely genius, and by far the most unique thing on TV. And, on a personal note, I should mention that it co-stars Kristen Chenoweth, which may or may not (or may) make me a little biased…




#2 - Dirty Sexy Money (New Series, ABC)
Another cast immaculately assembled by the folks at ABC. Peter Krause, Donald Sutherland, and Jill Clayburgh helm the new series based on a family of disgustingly wealthy New York socialites. And they are, as we all imagine the filthy rich to be, seriously fucked up.The oldest son with senatorial ambitions who has affairs with transsexuals. The daughter on her fourth husband who can't seem to get people to look past her wealth. The partying son with substance abuse issues and an addiction to "celebrity". The daughter who has no talent but idealistically wants to make a name for herself on her own, while of course living in a hotel being paid for by Daddy/inheritance/ridiculous financial means. Oh! And my favorite character: the Preacher son with the black heart. Which all is balanced out by the idealistic family lawyer searching for answers to his father's death and trying desperately to have a better life than his father had. All in all, it's pretty genius! I'm hooked…



#1 - Brothers & Sisters (Second Season, ABC)
My favorite show on TV. Bar none. I cannot watch an episode without getting choked up (damn Sally Field!) and then laughing my head off! One episode in and that show has already gripped me. Between the pending marriages and divorces and dealing with a war in Iraq… I don't know. I can't say enough good things about it! And everyone I know feels pretty much the same. My mom will call me after watching an episode. I'm not sure if it's because of Sally Field missing her own son, or Kevin Walker making my mom hopeful that I'll be a happy gay like him. Whatever it is, it speaks to people. And that's why it's my favorite!

1 comment:

W said...

Someone's biased towards the alphabet network. I like most shows ABC. I heart Brothers and Sisters and Dirty,Sexy, Money has piqued my interest.Good choices, Spence!

Nice blog,nice living in NYC. Am jealous.

I am Erik from Whittle et al.