Monday, October 1, 2007

Weekend in the Country

Well it's Monday and back to work. Ho Hum. It's always nice to start the week after a relaxing low-key weekend.

Friday I took off for my sisters place out in the country. I hadn't been out since Labor Day weekend, so it was definitely time for a visit. We didn't have a lot on the agenda. Everyone involved was mostly in to just chillin out for a few days. Then Saturday morning after breakfast my sister asked my nephew what he wanted to do. He said he thought the Zoo "would be cool". He's 2.

So to the zoo we went. The zoo in Bridgeport is only about 15 minutes from where they live, so that was the destination. It's not a very elaborate zoo. They have two Siberian Tigers that are very cool, except that they pretty much just lay there and don't do anything. They've got some wolves and an odd looking bear too. They've got a petting zoo area that Jack was REALLY into. He was feeding goats and talking to the pigs and giving the bunnies kisses. Seriously, how adorable is he?!

The highlight this time around (this was my second or third trip there) was a man who had his bug collection on display. And I'm not talking grasshoppers and beetles. I'm talking Hissing Roaches, Tarantulas, Albino Milk Snakes (not bugs, I realize), and gigantic african insects of the creepiest kind!
You'll notice on Brian's chest the tarantula hanging out. Prior to that it had been on my arm. I thought I was brave (I've got a huge fear of spiders. Seriously.) but the man with the bugs took it off me when he realized I wasn't breathing… lol I'm a dork but it was fun!

The thing on my arm is an African Millipede. All those legs had the strangest feeling. I was feeling pretty cool and like I could handle just about anything after a tarantula and what not. Then he pulled out the roaches and made like he was going to put one on my shirt. And that was pretty much it for me. There was no way… I can barely handle them on the streets, let alone on my shoulder!

Saturday night I offered to cook for the family. I was at the tail end of a cleanse I've been doing, so I figured since my options were limited I should just make the dinner so my sister didn't feel put out. So I played around a bit. What I came up with Shrimp Scampi served over Butterflied Chicken, and a Warm Vegetable Salad inside Hollowed Tomatoes.

TASTY. I hate to toot my own horn, but DAMN I'm GOOD. Lol

Sunday morning we all got up and went to the Big Rig Gig in Darien. My sister's mother-in-law works for a non-profit that hosts the annual event. The bring in police cars and firetrucks and diesels and all sorts of big equipment and let the kids climb inside. It's a lot of fun for the kids. B and I had to find other ways to amuse ourselves….

By the time we were half way done I was over it. B felt the same, so we spent the majority of the time paying more attention to all the hot dad's that were there than the trucks and what not.
After the event we trained back to the city. I had a few shows to catch up on from last week, so we did that and then watched the season premieres of Desperate Housewives and Brothers & Sisters. I was a little disappointed with DH. The whole "something happened in a dark locked up Attic room" storyline has been really overdone at the point. However, I am not bemoaning the presence of Nathan Fillion as the new husband-next-door. YUM.

And I love Brothers & Sisters, but I kinda hate that right when Kevin is going into a good relationship they're going to send him to some country far away. I would rather he stay so that we can see the relationship develop, but whatever. I guess that's why it's called a Prime time Soap.

I hope everyone had a nice weekend!
Happy Monday!

No comments: