Friday, June 8, 2007

2007 TONY AWARD PREDICTIONS

And finally… my predictions for this Sunday's Tony Awards!

BEST MUSICAL - Spring Awakening
This is pretty much a lock. Grey Gardens would come in a not-so-close second place.


BEST REVIVAL - Company
A Chorus Line was great, but there weren't any new aspects to the show. It was like someone took the original stage notes and regurgitated them all over a new cast. Not to take anything away from the ensemble, but the show just isn't worthy of it.
110 In The Shade was also great, but wouldn't have been without Audra.

BEST DIRECTOR OF A MUSICAL - Michael Mayer
What he did with such a young green cast was nothing short of miraculous.
John Doyle would be my second choice for his recreation/orchestration of Company.


BEST SCORE - Duncan Shiek and Steve Sater
No contest.

BEST BOOK - Grey Gardens
The book to Spring Awakening was kinda the weakest part of the production. And the writers of Grey Gardens had to entirely invent a fictional first act to their second act that was based on a film. So I think they should win.


BEST CHOREOGRAPHY - Bill T Jones
I would love for Jerry Mitchell to get recognized for Legally Blonde, but there were parts that were really over-done in the choreography department. And I didn't love Bill T Jones' choreography, but everyone else seemed to. So I think that's what will win.

BEST ORCHESTRATIONS - Duncan Shiek
Breathtaking. Enough said.


BEST SCENIC DESIGN - Mary Poppins
Disney at it's best. Absolutely incredible!

BEST COSTUME DESIGN - Grey Gardens
Have you seen the photos of Christine Ebersole from the Second Act? BRILLIANT.


LEADING ACTOR - Raul Esparza
Tough category. David Hyde Pierce is really well like and did a pretty good job with the show. But Esparza was sensational. Jonathan Groff was also great in Spring Awakening, but he's young and will get his chance another time.

LEADING ACTRESS - Christine Ebersole or Audra McDonald
I am truly torn. Audra was brilliant. BEYOND brilliant. Christine gave her career-defining performance. This one is really up in the air, and I am copping out by saying that I would be happy for either to win! ;)


FEATURED ACTOR - David Pittu
He has been called the saving grace of the dudd show "LoveMusik"
I would love for John Gallagher Jr. to win, and he just may. But again he is so young. His character was phenomenal, but I have to think that the normal Tony voter would lean more towards Pittu.
And the fact that I can't even remember right now who else is nominated… I'm pretty sure I'm right that it will be one of these two.

FEATURED ACTRESS - Mary Louise-Wilson
For anyone to be able to hold their own opposite Christine Ebersole is award worthy. Her performance has been critically acclaimed this season as the one to beat.
The runner up would be Karen Ziemba, who was great, but forgettable.


BEST PLAY - Coast of Utopia
Because let's be honest, it was 3 plays. And from what I understand they were all meticulously done. Count on this show sweeping it's categories, like BEST DIRECTOR, LIGHTING DESIGN, COSTUMES, and SCENIC DESIGN.
If there's going to be an upset, it will go to Frost/Nixon. Which more voters saw in it's entirety as opposed to the nine hours of Utopia that I doubt all the voters saw.

BEST PLAY REVIVAL - Journey's End
The show closes five hours prior to the awards. It will be a bitter-sweet moment for them. Inherit the Wind and Talk Radio could be potential upsets, but I don't think it will happen.


BEST ACTOR PLAY - Frank Langella
No one else has gotten the kind of praise that his turn as President Nixon has received. Schreiber and Plummer were both great as well, but Langella really set himself apart over the last few months since the show's opening.

BEST ACTRESS PLAY - Julie White
Yes, Angela Lansbury and Vanessa Redgrave are iconic. But both performances left reviewers and audiences kinda bored and not all that enthused. Julie White really deserves to win, and I think that her show had generated enough buzz that most voters will remember her as being a stand out to win.
I think she doesn't think so, so her speech should be really good!


BEST FEATURED ACTOR - Stark Sands
I think Crudup and Hawke will split fans of Utopia. And I think the same will happen for Chisholm and Jelks from Radio Golf. My guess is that Stark Sands from Journey's End will walk away with this award.


BEST FEATURED ACTRESS - Martha Plimpton
Honestly I have no idea who will win. But I really liked Martha all those years ago in PARENTHOOD, so I'm voting for her. Plus, she won a Drama Desk, so she seems to be favored.
Well folks, there it is. My official predictions for the 2007 Tony Awards. Everyone watch (you can TiVo or DVR the finale of Sopranos if you still watch that show…) and let me know what you think!


ENJOY YOUR WEEKEND!

No comments: