Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Tidbits! (06/12/07)

Something tells me that now the Tony's are over and done with, I'm going to have less fodder for my little blog here… Who knows, maybe I'll pick up another hobby? I am officially taking any and all suggestions, so let me have 'em!


Sondheim fans will be happy to learn that John Doyle is mounting yet another of his pieces next season - Merrily We Roll Along. The show centers on three friends (Frank, Charley, and Mary) and works backwards in chronology. The show contains some of Sonheim's greatest pieces, including my personal favorite "Not A Day Goes By". Here's a video of Bernadette Peters singing the number. I hope you have tissues!






We can expect that this show will be done in the same style as last season's Sweeney Todd and this season's Tony Winner for Best Revival, Company. If it's even slightly as good as Company it will be a show not to be missed! Casting hasn't been announced yet. The show will be opening first in the UK's Watermill Playhouse, and is expected to arrive on Broadway in 2008.



Yesterday, the USTA (United States Tennis Association) held auditions for young people to sing the National Anthem at this year's US Open. The auditions were at Radio City Music Hall, and an estimated 2,000 kids showed up, stage mom's in tow, to audition. USTA provided an American Idol-esqu panel of three: Ashley Parker Angel, Bebe Neuwirth, and Brad Blanks. I don't know if Blanks is a Brit, but can't you just hear Angel saying "yo dawg, that was da' bomb!"? And Bebe has got that ridiculous Paula-clap down to an art…
Can you imagine sitting through two thousand kids singing the National Anthem? I'd kill myself…

In other kid-friendly news, tickets for the Little Mermaid have officially gone on sale for it's Broadway debut this winter. I'm a huge theater fan, and I love pieces that force you inside to think about life and your own version of reality. I like work that leaves you shaken.


But unlike many other theatergoers with similar taste, I also have a palette for fluff. AKA: I love me some Disney musicals! I'm so excited for this show. No, it won't be core-shaking. But I guarantee that it's going to be a hella good time! Have I mentioned yet that Sherie Rene Scott is starring as Ursala? Ya - get you tickets now!

This week looks like it's going to be pretty mellow for me. I don't really have anything going on until the weekend when I head out to CT for Father's Day and what not.

I'd like to apologize now for the many lame "what I watched on TV" comments to come!

1 comment:

Iknowaboutpopular said...

I can't believe you called The Little Mermaid Fluff. You are so on iknowaboutpopular.com's shit list.

I credit most to all of what I learned as a child to Ariel and her little friends. She helped me understand that I don't always have to do what my parents tell me to do and that if I ever get into some sort of horrible contract with a sea witch that they would be there to bail me out.

Ariel taught me to dream big and not settle for something I wasn't happy with.

And let's not forget the most important lesson from that movie... If you're willing to change everything about yourself to please some guy then you deserve a happily ever after.

I would really like to make a more compelling argument about the similarities between Ariel wanting to be a human and a gay guy coming out... but I really should be working.

Working on my shit list... you're right there at the top... you and Laura Bush.

So just you think about that.