Wednesday, June 13, 2007

Life After TONY and other Tidbits! (06/13/07)

THIS JUST IN: Jake Gyllenhaal in his Broadway debut?


Ok, so before you get too excited, let me just begin this by saying that it's not confirmed yet!

Farragut North may be coming to Broadway next season. The show had a reading previously starring Hollywood IT boy Jake! Michael Reidel reported in the New York Post that Gyllenhaal will be deciding by the end of the week whether or not he will be joining the rest of the workshoppers in a Broadway production of the piece. The show will be directed by James Lapine and co-star Alison Pill.


After walking away with 8 Tony Awards on Sunday night, the cast of Spring Awakening gathered at Spotlight Live to throw a little after-party of their own. The show was the monster hit of the season, cementing what's sure to be a long run at the O'Neill. Lots of people turned out for the fiesta. There were awards winners, nominees, family members, and numerous people from the community who were out to show their support! (Source)Tony Winner John Gallagher, Jr.; Musical director Kim Grigsby; Tony Nominee Jonathan GroffCastmates Steven Spinella, Phoebe Strole, Tony Winning Composer Duncan Sheik, and Skylar AstinCastmates Johnathan B Wright, Phoebe Strole, Lauren Pritchard, and Skylar Astin

Tony Nominee Jonathan Groff and his parents (anyone else surprised by the size of his dad?!)Jonathan Groff and his brother, who is apparently a big Angela Lansbury fan (and H-O-T) Tony Winner John Gallagher Jr. and Sr. (Is it odd that I think he is so cute? The Jr, I mean...)Actor Zach Braff presented at the Sunday awards, and then decided to hang with the SA gang. Don't get me wrong, I like Zach and all... but he looks kinda creepy all up in Lea's face like that.Actor Neil Patrick Harris stopped by to say congratulations to his fellow actor (and dare I say, homo?) Jonathan Groff. I see Neil often at Arriba Arriba on 9th with his boyfriend, so I'm sure it was purely professional good graces... Tony winning actor (not this year mind you) Liev Schreiber made a quick appearance (sans the very pregnant Naomi) to say congrats to his good buddy Duncan.Former Tony Winner Michael Cerveris and John Gallagher Jr.Last, but not least is my FAVORITE photo of 2004 Tony Winner Idina Menzel and SA star Lea Michele. I know that Lea idolizes Idina, so I'm sure this was a great moment for her! UGH I'm so jealous...


On a less happy note, it has been announced that John Doyle's recreation of Sondheim's masterpiece Company will be giving it's final bow on July 1st. I guess the producers weren't happy enough with the show walking away this season with a Tony, Drama Desk, and Outer Critics Circle award for Best Revival of a Musical, and a Drama Desk and Outer Critic Circle award for Best Actor for Raul Esparza's performance.

It's a shame. Seriously. Company was the best show that I saw this season. I liked even more than I liked Spring Awakening.

Anyway, if you live somewhere that you can see it before it ends, I promise you will not be disappointed in the show. And I promise that this is a theater experience that you do not want to miss.

The next big question: What will Raul do next?

Could they cast him as Sky Masterson in next season's revival of Guys and Dolls? Or how about Gomez Addams in Andrew Lippa's upcoming musical version of The Addams Family?


There were some casting changes announced yesterday for Billy Elliot: the Musical in London. Now, I'm not going to go far into who it was and why, as I'm sure no one really cares.

This show is going to be making it's Broadway debut next season, so I wanted to post a video of the the number "Electricity" just to give you a little taste of what's in store. This sequence comes after a woman asks Billy "What do you feel when you're dancing?" It gets off to a slow start, but hang in there! The dancing this little kid does is RIDICULOUS!

1 comment:

Iknowaboutpopular said...

I don't see what the big deal is... Faith and I dance like that all the time... sure we're drunk... but that's what makes it a challenge.

And is it totally bad that all I wanted to do when he was done with his little dance was yell out "fag"?

Yeah it probably is... I'm such a bad gay.