Tuesday, June 5, 2007

Tidbits! (06/05/07)

Back in Utah, one of my favorite theater events was Plan-B Theater Company's "SLAM FEST". The concept was that five playwrights would meet at 8:00 pm, draw a title and three actors out of a hat, and by 8:00 pm the very next day the five new 10-minute one acts would premiere. It was such an awesome experience, knowing that 24 hours prior to watching these sometimes genius works that they didn't even exist! I stumbled across NYC's musical version of this: theAtrainplays.

"theAtrainplays are a celebration of New York, created by six teams while traveling the entire route of the A train, from 207th Street & Broadway to Far Rockaway and back. Four librettists will hop on the A train at 207th Street and begin writing the books for four 15-minute musicals, all set on the A train." (Source)

This begins two weeks from today. On Tuesday the 19th, the writers will get on the train. And then next day the six short musicals will premiere! I am definitely not going to miss this. It's a given that the shows may not be quite as impressive because of all of the additional elements that come with doing musical theater versus a play. But, none the less, I've enjoyed this process so much in the past that I can't wait to see it. Tracie Thoms (film "RENT") and Stephanie D'Abruzzio (2004 Tony-nominated Avenue Q star) are both set to be featured in the production, in addition to many other current Broadway actors.

Tonight, Hairspray is having it's 2,000th performance on Broadway. It was four years ago that the musical swept the theater awards season, winning everything from the Outer Critics Circle Awards to the Tony's. I guess this isn't a "happy birthday" thing, seeing as it won't celebrate it's fourth anniversary until August, but it's still really great. There's no word as to whether or not they'll be doing anything to celebrate, but I would be surprise if some of the upcoming film's stars didn't show up for some press. Anyway, here's a video from the original Broadway cast performing "You Can't Stop The Beat" on the Today Show.


Also, here's a video montage from the 2006 touring cast, featuring Brooklyn Pulver as Tracy Turnblad. Brooklyn is a good friend of mine, and was BORN to play this part! Go Brookey!!!


Yesterday, Live with Regis & Kelly (but without Regis…where is he?) kicked of it's Broadway week. Their first show featured was Spring Awakening. John Gallagher Jr (nominated Best Featured Actor) and Lauren Pritchard performed "Don't Do Sadness/Blue Wind", which is the final number in Act One. So, in the context of the show it is a much more powerful piece. But not everyone can come see it, so this will have to suffice!


Is it just me, or did they really shaft JGJ? I mean, he's nominated for a freaking TONY and all you want to talk about is how Lauren Pritchard used to be a go-go dancer? Um… wow. Lauren Pritchard was not that great in the show. In fact, she was quite possibly my least favorite thing about it. Given, girl can sing! But can girl act? No so much...

You know, my friend Anthony Rapp once described Oprah as being a "Star-fucker" because she would only give attention to the bigger names when interviewing ensembles. I think Kelly Rippa qualifies as well. How dare you ignore a Tony Nom, Rippa!


Last Friday, the new American Idol Jordin Sparks paid a visit to former Idol Fantasia backstage at The Color Purple after seeing the show. She was here doing a bunch of publicity stuff, having performed that morning on the Today Show in addition to a bunch of other things. She brought her new best friend and Idol upset 2nd Runner Up, Melinda Doolittle.

Now, it was really hot and humid here last friday. But these girls have stylists on hand all the time and should really not look so SHINY! And I'm proud of Fantastia. She's getting rave reviews and has breathed new life into Oprah's baby while on it's deathbed. But she doesn't look so good. I have nothing against bigger girls (I love Jordin, and J-Hud!) but she is really letting herself go. What's up, Fantasia?! Get. It. TOGETHER!

The Grey's Anatomy Season finale left us sort of in the dark as to who was going to be leaving the show. The writers left the final episode in a manner that could easily read up to the "write-off" of any number of characters. But for those who worry (like me...) worry no more!

"I think everyone’s coming back," Justin Chambers who plays Alex on the show told Access Hollywood at an event this past weekend. "It’s all good." (Source)

James Pickens, who plays Chief Webber on the show, also went on record saying that they wrote the finale that way so that people would continue to watch the show next season. After all, not many shows really survive a sloppy third season, and this season of Grey's was just that. It will be nice to clean up some plot lines with Addison getting her own show (Private Practice). And as far as all the other loose ends? Well, I will be watching next fall with the rest of the fans to find out…

And SPEAKING of Grey's stars… a big congrats goes out to Kathryn Heigl for her new film "Knocked Up"!

Last night I went and saw the movie, and it is really fantastic. I was worried going in that I wasn't going to be able to see her as a new character. But she really did a fantastic job.
The whole film is great. Seth Rogen is hilarious as the guy who gets lucky. Paul Rudd and Leslie Mann were perfect as the disharmonious sister and brother-in-law to Kathryn's character. We also get to spend two minutes watching Ryan Seacrest shamelessly mock himself. I'm sure the scene will be popping up on youtube soon. SO FUNNY.

The film has both smart and crass humor, and some good shocker moments (like showing the babies head trying to come out of her va-jay-jay… YIKES!) but it also doesn't forget that it's a romantic comedy, and has all the heart of a good Drew Barrymore flick! I loved it, and would highly recommend it to anyone.

Tonight was supposed to be the first preview of Public Theater's "Romeo & Juliet", kicking off their 2007 Shakespeare In The Park series. Because of the nasty weather we're having, the show has been postponed, and will be opening tomorrow instead. The show is starring the gorgeous Lauren Ambrose, whom we all know from her days as the pseudo-crazy little sister from Six Feet Under. I can't wait to see the production. Can you even think of a more perfect Juliet? I sure can't… The production is also starring Camryn Manheim as The Nurse. It's not a huge part, but it will be fun to see her live regardless…

Tonight I am going to Barnes & Noble at Lincoln Center right after work. The cast of 110 In The Shade will be performing a 30-minute set, and signing autographs and what not. I've got my playbill in my bag, and can't wait to meet Audra! I really couldn't care less about the rest of the cast. Not that they're not great. I'm sure they are. But it's like trying to get excited about seeing Kirsten Davis when Sarah Jessica Parker is standing right there!

After B&N, I don't really have anything on my schedule. I'll probably go watch "So You Think You Can Dance" and turn in for the night to be honest. Or if Matt's home I may see if he wants to go grab a drink at Suite. I guess I'll just be playing it by ear!

Have a good night!

No comments: